Retired Brits have revealed their top 40 ‘pearls of wisdom’ to pass on to younger generations, including saying “I love you” more often, and being confident in your own skin.
The poll of 1,000 retired adults also advised young people never to compare themselves to others—and to phone their family once a week.
Others warned the younger ones to enjoy their youth, exercise more often, and to step outside of their comfort zone.
The questionnaire found 67% of retirees do have regrets—such as not traveling the world (44%), worrying what other people thought (43%), and not keeping physically fit (40%).
RELATED: Man and His Cat Have Some Amusing Advice for Others
A spokesman from Voltarol, which commissioned the poll, said: “It’s certainly been interesting to see the insight and wisdom the older generation would pass on to the youth of today.
“Much of the insight revolves around enjoying life, respecting others, and being the best you can be, which I’m sure most would agree with.
“It was particularly fascinating to see how the older generation would recommend appreciating your younger body, and wishing they’d kept physically fit.”
The poll also found that when casting their minds back to their childhood years, older retirees miss hot summers (37%, playing outside until the streetlights came on (36%), and family holidays (30%).
MORE: From City to Countryside, Study Suggests Wisdom Can Protect Against Loneliness
The study also revealed retirees would like to pass on more practical advice such as getting on a company pension scheme, saving for your retirement in your twenties, and investing in property.
Regardless of ability, 89% said they might be old, but they’re young at heart.
CHECK OUT: After Nuns and Millennials Discover They’re ‘Soul Mates’, They Work and Live Together to Change the World
And one in 10 have tried yoga or tai chi since retiring, 23% have gone to concerts, and 29% have taken on a community garden plot—showing there’s always time to take on new hobbies and interests.
TOP 40 TIPS RETIRED BRITS WOULD GIVE TO YOUNGER GENERATIONS
1. Treat others how you’d like to be treated yourself
2. Manners don’t cost a thing
3. Always try your best
4. Accept a company pension scheme if offered
5. Don’t spend all your time on social media and live in the real world
6. Start saving for retirement in your twenties
7. Don’t take anything for granted
8. You don’t have to go to university for a successful career
9. Hold onto those closest to you
10. Be confident in your own skin
11. Respect your elders
12. Enjoy your youth
13. Never give up
14. Do what makes you happy
15. Family comes first
16. Don’t waste your time on jealousy
17. Don’t compare yourself to others
18. Don’t go to sleep on an argument
19. Invest in a property
20. Phone your parents every week
21. Say I love you more
22. Don’t have any regrets
23. Don’t sweat about the small stuff
24. Spend more time outside
25. Exercise more often
26. Never go to bed angry
27. Laugh more at everything
28. Be more patient
29. Be more confident
30. If you don’t ask, you don’t get
31. Don’t compare your style to others
32. Appreciate your younger body
33. Try something new
34. Don’t take things personally
35. Spend more time with children
36. Step outside your comfort zone
37. Don’t overindulge
38. Phone your grandparents every week
39. Remember the compliments you receive
40. Less is more
SHARE These Pearls of Wisdom With Your Pals…