Happy 90th Birthday to William Shatner, beloved as Captain James T. Kirk in the 60s series Star Trek and its subsequent blockbuster movies.
He has written a series of books chronicling his experiences as part of Star Trek, and life afterwards, including, Nimoy. Shatner’s also co-written several novels set in the Star Trek universe, and a series of science fiction novels called TekWar, that were adapted for television.
Shatner revealed in 2020 that he suffers from swollen joints and various age-related “aches and pains,” and uses CBD oil to treat his pain. LEARN about his love of horses… (1931)
In the 80s, Shatner also played the eponymous veteran cop in T. J. Hooker and hosted the reality-based television series Rescue 911 (1989–1996), which won a People’s Choice Award.
In his spare time, the Canadian actor, author, producer, director, screenwriter, and singer enjoys breeding and showing horses. He rode one of his own mares from his 360-acre farm near Versailles, Kentucky (named Great Belles of Fire) in Star Trek Generations.
MORE Good News on this Date:
- The Pilgrims of Plymouth Colony signed a peace treaty with the Wampanoags (1621)
- The Spanish National Assembly in Puerto Rico abolished slavery (1873)
- The Football League was formed for teams in England and Wales (1888)
- Auguste and Louis Lumiere showed the first moving pictures in Paris (1895)
- The US re-legalized the sale of beer and wine (1933)
- Please Please Me, the first Beatles album, was released (1963)
- Congress sent the Equal Rights Amendment (for women) to the states for approval, although it failed to receive enough votes (1972)
- A paralyzed British woman won the right to die naturally by discontinuing her ventilator (2002)
- The militant Basque separatist group, ETA, declared a “permanent” ceasefire in Spain (2006)
Today is the 28th annual World Water Day, inspired by the international goal of providing clean water for everyone.
During the first 26 years of Water.org more than two billion people have gained access to improved drinking water sources. Together, governments, the UN, and nonprofits have cut the number of people lacking safe water in half. (1993)
Happy 73rd Birthday to another great composer and lyricist, British born Andrew Lloyd Webber, famous for Cats, The Phantom of the Opera, Evita, and Jesus Christ Superstar. (1948)
And, speaking of theater… Happy 91st Birthday to Stephen Sondheim, the composer and lyricist who won an Academy Award, 8 Tonys (more than any other composer), 8 Grammys, and a Pulitzer Prize, for his contributions to musical theater.
His best-known works include West Side Story (1957); Gypsy (1959); A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1962)—and later runs during the 80s like Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street; Sunday in the Park with George; and Into the Woods. (1930)
SHARE the Milestones, Memories, and Music…